View of the north end of Naini Tal, with the new Assembly Rooms in the foreground - 1885
Photograph of Nainital from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of views of 'Naini Tal' taken by an unknown photographer in 1885. The area of the Kumaon Hills had come under British rule after the Anglo-Nepal War (1814-16) but it wasn't until 1841 that P. Barron built the first European house in Nainital. The town became the summer headquarters of the colonial administration of the province. It was a popular retreat for the residents of the plains. Being popular with the British, the town developed a British character with several European schools, barracks and a sanatorium. The Old Assembly Rooms were destroyed in the landslide disaster of September 1880 burying 151 people. This view shows the New Assembly Rooms on the edge of the lake and in front of the recreation area known as 'The Flats'.
Copyright © The British Library Board