Village of Kot Kul[u] - 1860
View of the Kullu valley, from the Elgin Collection: 'Spring Tours 1894-98', taken by Samuel Bourne in the 1860s. The Kullu Valley is 80 km long, bordered by the Pir Panjal to the north, the Parvati Range to the east, and the Barabhangal Range to the west. It was known in ancient Hindu scriptures as Kulanthapitha, or ‘End of the Habitable World’. The valley was one of the major trade routes between Central Asia and the Gangetic plains and local rulers gained profitably from the through traffic enabling them to extend their kingdom.
Copyright © The British Library Board