Padmanabha Swamy Temple at Trivandrum - 1895
Photograph of the gopura of the Padmanabha Temple at Trivandrum, taken by Zachariah D'Cruz in the 1890s from the 'Album of South Indian Views' of the Curzon Collection. This ancient Hindu temple is one of the greatest of Kerala and was patronised mainly in the 18th century by the Travancore kings. The sanctuary, which enshrines a large image of Vishnu, is built in the typical Kerala style while the surrounding walls and towers are similar to those of the Dravidian architecture of Tamil Nadu. The imposing gopura or entrance gateway consists of ascending storeys ending with a vaulted roof and reflect the contemporary Nayaka style of architecture.
Copyright © The British Library Board